Heritage of the Americas Museum
The Museum features the prehistoric and historic art and culture of the Americas and natural history of the world. A visit to the Museum truly takes you on a “Journey through Time.”
The Natural History Wing is the first stop on your journey, where you will find meteorites, rocks and minerals, gemstones, fluorescing rocks, shells, taxidermy mounts and fossils.
Right around the corner in the Archaeology Wing you will see paleo and archaic projectile points, as well as pre-Columbian treasures from Mexico and Peru. There is an extensive collection of artifacts from Teotihuacan and an outstanding Mayan collection. This wing includes murals by Mona Mills depicting the life of the Kumeyaay before 1492, as well as a fine collection of Kumeyaay artifacts.
The third stop is the Anthropology Wing where you will venture into the daily life of the Cheyenne, Eskimo, Hopi and many other Native American cultures. Of particular interest are the headdress given by the Sioux Nation to Charles Lindbergh, Cheyenne Chief Thunderbird’s buffalo council robe, and a Nez Perce dress worn to a meeting with President Theodore Roosevelt.
Your final stop is the Art Wing, which includes many excellent examples of Western art, including original oils by such noted artists as Olaf Wieghorst, Marjorie Reed, and Alfredo Rodriguez. It is in the Art Wing where you will find an outstanding collection of Chinese artifacts. It includes over 100 exquisite jade artifacts, including a large jade dragon ship and a jade burial suit from the Han Dynasty.
- Natural History Wing-Fossils, gemstones and shells from all over the world & meteorites that are out of this world!
- Archaeology Wing-Amazing pre-Columbian artifacts from North, Central and South America.
- Anthropology Wing-The vast collections from post-1492 really highlight the impact the Europeans had on Nat. Amer. life.
- Art Wing-Contemporary Western art and a world-class collection of Chinese artifacts.
- Museum Store-Museum-related treasures for all ages at the very lowest prices.
NewsRelease Date: September 06, 2017
Just off Jamacha Road on the campus of Cuyamaca College in Rancho San Diego (across from the Albertson's Shopping Center). 12110 Cuyamaca College Dr. W., El Cajon 92019